12 December 2012

Focus on... Vic Morse, training to become a Special Constable

Vic Morse
Special Constable in training at Kent Police Training School

I’m currently training at Kent Police to become a Special Constable. I started at the end of September and hope to complete it by March 2013.

Each month I typically attend a full weekend training (Saturday and Sunday) and two evening training sessions (7 to 10pm).

At last night’s training, we had a talk from an officer about drugs awareness. It was really informative and an eye opener. He made me think differently about how to deal with people involved in drugs.

We’ve also been learning the definitions of each crime type, breaking down what each word means, and what someone can be arrested for.

A crime scene investigator came to one of our recent training sessions to explain what goes into gathering and preserving evidence. She gave us practical advice on what our role would be at a scene – what to look for and how to record information.

Previously we’ve taken part in role plays including learning how to arrest someone – what to do and what not to do. Arresting someone always sounds simple but there is a lot to remember!

I’ve just passed my first exam which is a relief and it was great because the whole class passed. We have ongoing assessments too and there are course notes which we have to read before we attend every session. The tutor questions us on what we’ve read and then goes into more depth, which is sometimes supported by e learning after the class.

As well as all the classroom-based learning and role plays, there’s the practical side of our training. We’ve had a medical and will need to pass the fitness test before we join. From March 2013, we’ll be based at a local station and attending calls with our regular officer colleagues to get ‘on-the-ground’ experience.

Sometimes we get to speak with previous and up coming intakes and it’s a great chance to share knowledge and discuss what we’ve learnt. I spoke recently to someone from the intake ahead of us who said they’ve been learning how to handcuff someone securely.


Why I wanted to become a Special


Previously I was in the army and am now a single mum with two children. I found it hard to get a job to fit around my child care arrangements but was keen to do my bit and make a difference. So I looked into volunteering and found out about the work of the Specials. Now I feel like I’m playing my part and fit into the team. There’s a real camaraderie to working as a Special and I’ve made some really good friends, of all ages, through my training. It’s so nice to mix with like-minded people with similar beliefs and to be part of the team.


Interested in becoming a Special?


If you want to know more about the work of the Special Constabulary and what's involved in becoming a Special, chat online to co-ordinator T/Insp Guy Thompson tonight from 6pm. Take part.